Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Birds

As I sit here at my desk typing, I can look out the window into the backyard and see a couple squirrels running about and birds of all varieties fluttering and scratching and hopping and eating.  Purple finches, sparrows, blue jays, cardinals, chickadees, juncos, woodpeckers, doves, a little brown bird that I don't recognize (possibly a Carolina wren), and (the less desirable) starlings all make their appearance during the course of the day.  Several of my bird feeders were up about a week and a half after we moved in and, thanks to the neighbor directly behind us who has a couple bird feeders, we attracted a considerable number of the winged creatures within a few days.  I get a great amount of pleasure out of watching the birds in my backyard (as you can probably tell because this is not the first time I've blogged about my birds).  I saw a couple chickadees this morning for the first time since moving to Kansas.  I never saw any at our old house (or at anyone else's house here in Kansas for that matter) and the two this morning were the first I've seen here.  Cardinals are by far my favorite bird but I like the cheerful little chickadees too.  I'm so glad that we live in a house that's so close to open fields and small forests.  At the old house I was able to attract a lot of finches and sparrows but I also got a lot of crows, grackels, starlings, and black birds.  Blue jay or cardinal sightings were a rare treat.

I do hope Josiah grows up to love and appreciate wildlife as much as I do.  There's only a few of God's creatures that I absolutely hate (possums are at the top of the list) but even the annoying or pesky or slightly scary ones are still fun to watch from a safe distance (snakes, mice, coons, coyotes).  My Dad has a bachelor's degree (and several master's courses) in wildlife biology so my siblings and I got a lot of wildlife lessons when we were living at home.  My husband didn't have that exposure to wildlife as a child and unfortunately, his view of wildlife is pretty much "meh."  But being around me has caused him to come around a little bit.  Maybe by the time we're 80, he'll actually enjoy sitting and watching the birds. At least, one can hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment