Thursday, October 2, 2014

Earthquakes

I just experienced, for the second time since moving to Wichita, a natural phenomenal that I'm totally unfamiliar with.  An earthquake. 
About a year ago, I was sitting on the couch reading and I felt the house shake slightly.  It was very quick and since I wasn't sure it was actually a tremor, I immediately took to social media where my guess was confirmed.  Since that time, Wichita and the surrounding area has been feeling more tremors but I didn't feel any more until today.  About 15 minutes ago, I was sitting here at my desk reading through some emails when the house started to shake.  I thought at first it was the wind since it's pretty windy outside but then the wind died down and the house was still shaking.  It lasted long enough that my eyes got big and I started to wonder when it would stop.  This one was scarier than the last one, not only because it lasted longer and seemed stronger, but because there's been an increase in tremors recently.  They're originating in Oklahoma and whether it's man-made (fracking) or natural, we didn't used to have earthquakes and now we do.  It's certainly nothing like what happens along the fault lines in California or elsewhere around the world but it's still worrisome.

According to the USGS map, the earthquake originated near Harper, Kansas (southwest of Wichita) and was a magnitude 4.4.

No comments:

Post a Comment