Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Last Day of September

Tomorrow is the first day of October.  The weather has been almost perfect, with midday highs in the low 80's, sandwiched between morning and evening temperatures in the low to mid 70's.  We could use some rain though.  It's been forecasted at least once a week for the last month but we haven't seen more than a few drops. 

Last week, Book-A-Holic, a local used bookstore, had their semi-annual warehouse sale.  They opened up their storage room and sold books for $10 a bag.  I went on Thursday evening and got a big bag of books for myself.  Hoping that the sale was still going on on Friday, I went back and got a second big bag of kids books for Josiah.  On Friday, the bag only cost $7.50 (not sure why) so I got probably two dozen books for $18.  Most of the ones I got for myself were hardcover and in almost perfect condition.  The kids books were a little more "used" but still a really good deal. 

Josiah had his 18 month check-up last Friday and his last vaccination until age 4 (thank goodness!).  His weight is average but his height is below average which doesn't really surprise me given his birthmom's petite stature.  He's healthy and growing and the pediatrician was pleased with his development.  The only area where (I think) Josiah might be a tad behind is in speech.  He's used a handful of words but none very consistently (except "uh oh").  I think a big part of the reason is because he uses his pacifier all the time.  Since I'd like to take the paci away completely when he turns 2, I've started to wean him from it during the day.  Most of the time he doesn't even notice that he doesn't have it until he starts to get tired or hungry.  In just a week's time, I've already noticed an increase in his vocalizations.  I've also started to work on specific words with him ("momma" and "dadda" being at the top of the list) and read to him every evening before bed.  I'd gotten inconsistent in reading to him (and reading myself!) because of spending so much time outside this summer. 
I'm not concerned about his speech and word range yet.  At this stage of life, toddlers can learn things overnight so by next week, he might be surprising us all with what he can say.  I'm just going to encourage him and help him where I can and leave the rest up to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment