Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Big God

A few days ago, my sister and bro-in-law were at the mall and were accosted by a group of Seventh Day Adventists.  My sister, not one to keep her mouth shut, got into it with them.  I'm proud of her for speaking up because they were telling lies and my sister knows the Bible well enough to refute some of what they were saying.  I was regaled with the tale after the fact and the one thing Bridget said they kept saying was that they understood the Bible and God.  They completely understood God.  I've been thinking about that for a couple days now and I've come to two conclusions. 

First, they are most definitely wrong.  How arrogant do you have to be to say that you, of ALL the people on the earth, have a complete understanding of the Bible and God?  The reason there's so many denominations is because different people interpret the Bible in different ways.  Some of the smartest people on earth have studied the Bible and can't figure out major parts of it.  It's very dangerous and, in my opinion, heretical to say that you've got it all figured out.  In Isaiah 55:8-9, God makes it clear that He is far above us in understanding: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Besides that, if anyone was going to have it all figured out, it would be Solomon, the wisest man in all the world.  He never claimed to understand God or the Bible.

Second, I would not and could not worship a god that I could understand.  If I could understand God, He would be much too small to be worthy of worship.  Just as no human being can wrap their head around the vastness of the universe, so no human being can wrap their mind around God.  And for this I'm glad.  My soul longs to worship a big God.

No comments:

Post a Comment