Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winter Storms and Reading

Our second big snowstorm of the winter descended upon us yesterday and turned an ugly brown world into a white fairyland. The snow was beautiful, falling gently for most of the day as the temp hovered around 25 degrees.  With the coming of night though, the temps dove and we woke up to a balmy 4 degrees this morning.  I love the snow and the colder temperatures don't bother me, especially since it means that the snow will stay around for at least a few days.  I'm a little worried about my gardens though.  The last few weeks have been unseasonably warm and two weeks ago, we raked our backyard and uncovered lots of green... bulbs, holly hocks, salvia, and other things that were unidentifiable.  My roses and my weeping ornamental peach were starting to bud.  Hopefully the 6 inches of snow and freezing temps won't do any damage.  Plants in this region of the country have to get used to mild winters with unnaturally warm days followed by snowstorms and cold. 

This kind of weather keeps us indoors but I don't mind.  I have lots of reading to do this year and since I want to spend the spring, summer, and fall outside, I need to read a lot on days that I can't go outside.  I finished the book on Wyatt Earp (Wyatt Earp, the Life Behind the Legend) and have started Bringing Up Boys and The Gold Rush (about the Pikes Peak gold rush of 1859).  I'm also reading a Max Brand book to Josiah.  Although it should seem obvious, reading out loud is a lot harder than reading to yourself.  I read Josiah's kids books to him but that's a lot different than sitting down and reading out loud from an adult book for an hour or two at a time.  It's getting easier and I'm glad I'm starting it now because I intend to read every day to our children.  I remember my mom reading Little House on the Prairie to me and my siblings, at least a chapter every school night.  She read the Boxcar Children before that and various other books between the series's.  We all grew up with good imaginations and four out of six of us love to read (the last one may still develop a love of reading and the other one always struggled with it so he never learned to enjoy it).  As Josiah gets older, I'll have to find more appropriate books to read to him since the Louis L'Amour and Max Brand books have a bit too much violence in them for a young child that can understand what's being read to him but for now, the books are for my enjoyment.  Well, a cup of hot chocolate and a good book awaits so I must bring this blog to a close.     

No comments:

Post a Comment