Friday, January 24, 2014

Books Of All Kinds

After finishing "Education of a Wandering Man" and yesterday's blog post, I started another book.  It was a book about westerns (books and movies), how westerns have helped shape our culture today, and interpreting the things that are in westerns.  Even before the end of the introduction, I saw that this was not a book I'd enjoy.  The author is a psycho-feminist and is basically just using the book to bash men, talk about how women are marginalized in westerns, and whine about how horrible westerns are because they include killing and exclude God.  I don't want to be one of those people who only reads things they agree with though so last night I started reading the first chapter.  By the time I got three quarters of the way through it, I was steaming.  It is so full of mindless drivel, ridiculous assumptions, and man-bashing that I've decided it's not worth my time to read it.  I think it's important to read and listen to differing points of view but there are times you'll encounter a book or an article or a sermon where you know there'll be little to no benefit (thus, a complete waste of time) and could even do some damage emotionally or psychologically.  This particular book falls into that category. 

And so the book was tossed onto the pile of books that I'm going to try to sell to Book-A-Holic next time I'm there (I seriously considered just throwing it out because I don't think anyone could benefit from it but if I can get a few dollars from it, it won't be a complete loss) and I've already started my next book.  The two I have on my desk right now are "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson and "Driven" by Donald Driver.  My mom gave me "Driven" when they came for a visit a few weeks ago and I'm very interested in reading it but I have a young son who's growing up way too fast and I think I'll benefit more from the parenting book than the autobiography by the Green Bay Packers all-time leading receiver.  And the quest for knowledge goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment