Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 - It's Here!

With 20 degree temperatures and a wind that cuts to the bone, 2014 is upon us.  I always feel like the first day of the New Year should somehow be different from the 365 days that preceeded it and the 364 days that will follow it but it never is.  It's just another ordinary day.

I've spent the last few days thinking about some goals that I (we) have for 2014, some things I want to do, some areas of my life that I want to improve.  We have some big goals: we'd like to sell our house this spring and find a bigger place outside the city.  We'd also like to save enough money and start pursuing another adoption.  For myself, I want to read through the Bible this year.  I did it once before but I'm going to do it differently this time and read from the front to the back (most reading plans have you read both Old and New Testament at the same time). 

I also have some smaller goals: I want to put together a cookbook this year.  I'm working on taking the recipes that I like from my mom's cookbook and typing them into my computer but they're mostly dessert recipes and I want a complete cookbook when I'm done with it.  This leads into my next goal which is to make a minimum of two new dishes a month (I'm going to be shooting for one new dish each week but that doesn't always work out).  As for personal improvement, I'm working on a list of books I'd like to read in 2014.  I want to read through all of C.S. Lewis' most well-known works; I want to read at least six history/western nonfiction books (I'm currently reading "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp"); and two parenting books ("Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson will be one of them).

I don't like the idea of New Year's resolutions because resolving to do something because it's a "special" day of the year rarely works.  But I do think it's a good time to think about the past year and the coming year and put some goals in place so you'll be, by God's grace and help, a better, smarter, wiser, more humble and godly person at the end of the coming year than you are now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment