Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Trips, Family & Thanksgiving

Josiah and I got home from Wisconsin late last night.  My parents live north of Green Bay and since they live so far away, they don't get to see Josiah very often.  The last time they saw him was in September and, if it weren't for this trip, they wouldn't have seen him again until January.  Four months is a long time to miss in a baby's first year.  I want my son to have a close relationship with both sets of grandparents and that means making some sacrifices to ensure that he gets to see my parents at least a few times a year.  As he gets older and our family gets bigger, it'll get harder to travel that distance (either by plane or car) but family is very important to us and we'll do what we need to to make sure our kids see their grandparents.

Josiah also got to spend some time with two of his uncles and his great grandfather.  Both of my grandmothers are gone but my grandfathers are still living and in relatively good health.  Josiah has seen my dad's dad twice now and he'll get to meet my mom's dad next June when we all go down to Phoenix for his 90th birthday.  Lord willing, all five of Grandpa's great grandchildren will be at his birthday party. 
 
The day after returning from a trip is always weird.  I'm more tired than usual because I was up later than usual.  I have things to do today that I don't normally do on a Wednesday (laundry, grocery shopping, house cleaning, etc.).  I want to spend some extra time with my kitties since it's obvious that they missed me.  Plus, Thanksgiving is a week away and I need to start thinking about the menu for our Thanksgiving dinner.  The first Thanksgiving Daniel and I were married, I went a little non-traditional and made Cornish game hens and a turkey breast for our Thanksgiving meal.  He loved them so much that of course it became a Thanksgiving tradition for us.  And, due to my father-in-law being forced to work at Wal-Mart on Thanksgiving, the parents/siblings Thanksgiving has been moved to Friday so we'll be doing our own Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day.  The big extended family Thanksgiving is scheduled for Sunday.  Lots of good eating coming up next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment