Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Year

Since it's two weeks into the new year and I haven't done a blog since Christmas, I figured I should probably write one tonight. I had a nice Christmas back in Wisconsin with my family and than my little sister was here for ten days and now I'm working on getting all packed. As you can tell, my life has been pretty hectic recently. Yes, dear readers, I have to pack up everything in our apartment and be ready to move by the end of the month. Our whole apartment complex (6 buildings) is being renovated, building by building. Ours is the third building and, because of some technicalities, our only two choices at this time is to either move into a worse apartment (it's already renovated but it's in a building closer to the road so it'd be quite a bit more noisy) or move into a temporary apartment and then move back to this one after it's done. Yes again, dear readers, that means we're actually moving twice. Now of course we don't have to unpack everything once we get over there, so I'm packing some boxes only with things that we don't need very often, but it still sucks, since we're gonna be in the temp apartment for two months or so. That means, for two months, we're gonna have furniture and boxes stacked around. SIGH. But, since it's only a temporary apartment anyway, I suppose I don't want it to get to feel too homey.
Our apartment is full - we don't have too much stuff but we have enough that we can't really fit anything else in here without it becoming over-crowded. Daniel and I have discussed up-grading to a two bedroom so we could have one bedroom for an office, but that seems like kind of a waste of money, since we don't really need it. For now, we've decided to stick it out here and save that extra money for a down-payment on a house.
And now, a musing about the new year. With the coming of the new year, there's a small sense of redemption, rebirth, a new beginning, a fresh start. For some reason, when the new year comes around, I harbor a hope that this new year will be different... not so many bad things will happen, people will be more moral, the world will stop it's gradual (sometimes rapid) move towards hell and all things evil. I don't know why I have this hope, but every year I do, and every year, I'm proven wrong. Why can't things go back the other way? Why can't our country become more Christian instead of more muslim, buddhist, atheist, etc.? Why can't other countries have good, moral leaders instead of men like Saddam Hussein (deceased), Mahmoud Ahmadinehad, Hugo Chavez, Fidel and Raul Castro, etc.? Why don't we see more billboards of how abortion stops a beating heart and less of Calvin Kline's barely clothed models? Why doesn't the murder, rape, abuse, and divorce rate go down instead of up? Why doesn't our country, our world trend towards righteousness instead of evilness? Of course, I know the answer to this. But that doesn't make it any better.

1 comment:

  1. On a personal level, Paul tells us to "forget what lies behind," and to "press on." To me, that is a move toward personal renewal.
    Additionally, there indeed are good things happening and there are good people that are truly making a difference. It's easy to lose sight of that in all of the corruption and destruction.
    Good blog.

    ReplyDelete