Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tonight

Tonight, I had the great privilege of being a part of something truly wonderful. My husband's family (yes, the oft-dreaded in-laws :)) is a very close-knit family (especially the ones who live here in Wichita). At the core, their religions beliefs are the same, and any doctrinal differences they have bring them closer together through challenge and debate rather than tearing them apart, as it does most families. They go to each other for advice, support and love.
Tonight, we had a Christmas Musical (or Talent Show?) and the Candlelight Service. The first part was singing and playing of various Christmas songs by various members of the family and friends, and the second part was a reading of the Christmas story along with lighting the Christmas candles. There are two reasons tonight was so wonderful. One, of course, was the sharing of our Christian belief in the birth and life of Jesus Christ. The other was the amazing talent that I saw and heard. It's quite obvious that musical talent runs strong in this family and it's truly sensational when they get together and perform.
I'm very blessed that this remarkable family has welcomed me as one of them and that I get to be an audience to the talent that flows from them.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this family is remarkable. It is a privilege to be a part of this amazing group. I'm glad that you are a member of the family now too!
    -Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comments, Dara. In the midst of all the hubbub and confusion, we really do work hard to maintain the relationships...we think it's the least we can do to honor our heritage, and besides, we have enough drama in our lives without adding family problems to it. If we want drama, we can watch a few minutes of the Vince and Tuffy show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I have always been proud of is the way this family gets a long, and the way we care for one another. I am also proud to call you a member of this family. You are my sister, and that makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete