Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Military

As the roar overhead drowns out all other noises, I'm reminded again of one of the reasons why I really like living in this particular place in the city. I was raised in the country on a small farm, and I'll always be a country girl at heart. Because of that, there's only a few things that I like about living in the city. I don't hate the city, per say. I just don't enjoy living here, as a lot of people do. The few things that I like about the city are that I'm close to my work, I'm close to other stores so I can go shopping whenever I want, and I'm close to the Air Force base. As the crow flies, the base is just a few miles from our apartment. Every day, fighter jets, huge cargo planes and other military aircraft fly right overhead. In the evenings when my husband and I are watching a movie, there are many times when we have to pause the movie because the roar of low-flying military aircraft is so loud that nothing else can be heard. Some people probably get very irritated by the noise, especially if it wakes them up at night. I, however, think of the noise differently... with gratitude. I'm so grateful that there are men and women who are willing to enlist so those jets and planes can be flown in the defense of our country. I'm grateful that I work at a grocery store that's close to the base so I can see military personnel everyday. I'm grateful that we live close enough to the base so I can hear the sounds of freedom everyday.
When I was growing up in the country, we didn't see soldiers or military vehicles very often. But now, living where we do, I have a constant reminder of the sacrifice of those men and women. That soldier who comes through my line at the store - he may be deployed next week, and the week after that, may be counted among the fallen. I will never stop being grateful to that soldier.
I only wish that more people in our country were grateful for the sacrifices of our military. I don't really care if you agree or disagree with the war, the president, past presidents, or decisions that were made. Those men and women deserve our love and gratitude and support.

My love and prayers especially go out to my sister Melanie (Air Force) and my brother Josh (Army National Guard). I'm so proud of you both.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. I think when you hear those planes flying overhead it's easy to think of it as just noise, rather than our military performing it's duties for our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog, Dara. We all too often think of how these things disrupt our lives instead of what they really mean for us.

    ReplyDelete