Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Authors and Books

It's been quite a while, dear readers, since I've written anything. Life has been busy for me, but that's not the only reason I haven't written in so long. Those of you who know me well, know that I love to read. I used to read for hours and hours every day but, as I got older and more important things came up (such as going to college, getting married, working an almost full-time job, etc.), reading was one of the things that got put on hold. Of course, I didn't give up reading altogether (I always had a book around that I'd pick up when I wanted to relax), but I just didn't read for the hours a day that I used to. However, I've recently realized that I've really missed reading and I'm now trying to read for at least half an hour every day (if not more). Because of my new determination, given the choice between reading and writing my blog, I usually choose reading. Now, I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats, wondering what I've been reading lately. Well, about a week ago, I finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. For those of you who've read that book, you know that it's quite an extensive read. However, from the very first page of the book, the story captured me and I could barely put it down. In my opinion, it's the best fiction book I've ever read. The other book that I just finished is Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. I read Dear John because my younger sister Bridget read it and recommended it to me. When I was younger I used to read a lot of Christian romances, but haven't for awhile. But I must say, Dear John is a pretty good book. I'd recommend both Lonesome Dove and Dear John to any of you readers. The book I'm on now is Dead Man's Walk, another book my Larry McMurtry and a prequel to Lonesome Dove.
So, what makes a good book "good"? Well, I think there are two things that make a book good (this mainly applies to fiction books). First, the author writes in such a way that you can actually "see" and "feel" what's happening. You can see what's happening to the characters, you can feel what they're going through. I've read books where I haven't been able to see and feel, and those reads weren't very enjoyable. For whatever reason, the author just didn't have what it took to make the characters seeable and feelable (is that a word?). And second, the author is able to make the characters "live". For example, at the end of Lonesome Dove, one of the main characters dies (I won't tell you who because I don't want to spoil it for you). When that character died, I felt the lose. When the character was alive, I felt like he was really alive. Now, you may think that these two things are the same, but they really aren't. You can "see" what's going on in a book without feeling like it's really happening. If an author is able to write in such a way that you not only see and feel what's happening, but also feel that the characters are really alive and the events are really happening to them, then, in my opinion, that book is a good book, that author is a good author.
Well, that's all for now. If you don't read, I encourage you to pick up a book and read today. You truly can travel the world and beyond, past, present and future, in the pages of a book.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. There are books, and then there are really good books.

    ReplyDelete