Monday, October 19, 2009

My Future House

Now that I'm married and living in a three room apartment (bedroom, bathroom and living room/kitchen), I'm really looking forward to having my own house. I know that my wish for a house probably won't materialize for a year or two, but it's still fun to dream. What do I miss most about a house?
Well, the first thing would be having a front yard and backyard. We live on the third floor of our apartment building and therefore have a balcony, but it's definitely not the same. When I was younger, I used to hate the thought of gardening, but now, I'd love to have a backyard to plant flowers in. I'd love to have a backyard with a big tree and a swing and grass to mow. If we lived in the city, the backyard would be fenced in and my kitty Nibbles could go outside and play. I could sit outside and no one would be able to see me. With the balcony that we have now, it overhangs the parking lot so people can see me when I'm sitting outside. Also, the sun doesn't reach our balcony (even in the summer) so today, when it was a beautiful day and I wanted to sit outside in the sun, I couldn't. I still sat outside, but it was in the shade and I could only gaze longingly at the sun areas around me.
One of the other things that I really miss is having a washer and dryer. Yes, there are two of each in the basement of our building but those cost money. It would be cheaper to go to the laundromat down the street from us, but that would require having the time to sit at a laundromat, waiting for laundry to get done. At least when I do it downstairs, I can leave it down there and not really worry about it. However, I still need a block of time during the day to get one or two loads done. When we have a house with a washer and dryer, I could put laundry in at night and let it go and just switch it in the morning. It probably doesn't seem like a big thing, but it's really getting to be a nuisance. So, I can't wait till we have our own house with our own washer and dryer.
The last thing I really miss is having our own property. Here at our apartment, we own nothing except what's in the apartment. When we buy a house, that house and the 1/2 acre or acre is our own.... well, it'll be the bank's for awhile, but you get what I mean. We wouldn't have to worry about doing car maintenance because we'd have a little garage to do it in. Here at the apartment, they don't want people working on their cars in the parking lot so you have to find somewhere else to do it. If we had a garage, we could clean out our cars when they get dirty. Here, there's no where to plug in a vacuum or run a hose. Everywhere we walk, someone else owns it. We pay money every month, but for what? It's not an investment. There's nothing long-term that we're putting the money towards. If we didn't pay our rent next month, we'd get kicked out and what would we have to show for the past eight months of paying rent? Nothing. There's nothing long-term about an apartment, nothing to make it really feel like your permanent home.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm very glad to have this apartment and I know that we're getting a pretty good deal on this one. Also, our building is going to be renovated in a couple months and then it'll be even better. And yes, our little apartment does feel like home right now. But I long for something that will be ours, mine and Daniel's. Our own house. Our own garage. Our own yard with a tree and grass. Our own home where we can have children and raise a family. It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. If only it would happen faster . . . We've been married for nearly 4 years now. You do have one thing to show for all those rent payments, though--freedom and lack of debt. :) And gardens are great until you have to redo them after the last tenant ignores them. :( Oh, and when you're feeling bad about the dryer, just think of me--We had them in a CELLAR in one of the rentals. With spiders.

    - Little Mama -

    ReplyDelete