Monday, August 31, 2009

Observation: What the heck is wrong with "Christians?!"

"I hope that God strikes Barack Obama with brain cancer so he can die like Ted Kennedy and I hope it happens today."
"I'm gonna pray that he dies and goes to hell when I go to bed tonight. That's what I'm gonna pray."
--- Why I Hate Barack Obama

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is why people hate Christians and would never want to be one of us. These words are from a sermon (titled "Why I Hate Barack Obama") preached by a Baptist minister from the Phoenix area. When I first read the story (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/31/phoenix-pastor-draws-protests-telling-church-prays-obamas-death/?test=latestnews) I had a hard time processing it. How could a pastor say something like this? How could he encourage his parishioners to pray for the President's death? And then he claims that he doesn't condone killing??
As many of you know, or could probably guess, I disagree with the President on just about every issue. He has an extreme lack of morality and his stance on every other issue (non-moral ones) are, in my opinion, destructive to our country. However, I would never ever say something like this. No matter how much a person disagrees with another person, they don't stoop to this level. Is this pastor honestly praying to God and asking that the President die and go to hell? The God of the Bible? the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? the Father of Jesus? the One who came to earth, preaching that we are to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us? I just don't get it.
We represent Jesus to the world, and this sermon is this pastor's representation of Jesus. As angry as this makes me, it also saddens me. Anytime a Christian (or at least one who claims to be saved) gets up there and makes a laughing-stock of our faith, it not only destroys his witness, but it damages my witness. The high-profile pastor's and the ones who catch the lime light for a short period of time are the ones that a lot of unsaved people see and remember. They think this is a picture of Christianity. How many souls will be lost because of this pastor's sermon?
Please don't think that I'm putting too much weight on what this pastor has said. I know that, despite (or in spite of) our words and deeds, God still works in people's lives. But when something like this happens, it makes our job, our advancement of the gospel, harder. Here's another person (a pastor) who claims to be a Christian and yet is preaching the exact opposite of what Christ preached. It's bad enough that the devil and all the people he has control of our against us. Do we really need one of our own against us too?
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment